Monday, August 30, 2010

and so it goes....



They say you can't go home again, but when the road is the only place you really call home, have you ever really gone...?  My mode of transportation covered in decals from different places I have encountered, my tires wearing thin from all the miles and Rugby, my traveling mascot, gets chauffeured along the scenic route.  I find myself seeking the road less traveled for many reasons, beautiful scenery, fewer crowds and the unexpected rewards....  As I open my Rand McNally, I search for the roads dotted with green, the "scenic route" per their standards.  Challenging these experts of the American highways I coast along, enjoying the ride.  As for this picture, it is not along a green dotted line, but one of those scenic drives you would never find unless you made a wrong turn I suppose.  An adventure awaited at the top of this mountain, amazing views along the Gros Ventre River, up to Lower Slide Lake and along the western horizon, the Teton Range.  I am fortunate we did not find what we were looking for, but found a place more breathtaking and beautiful than we could have imagined.  As I sit on the ledge of these red cliffs I cannot help but think of something John Muir once said, "In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks."

No comments:

Post a Comment